Lionel Andrés Messi, commonly known as Leo Messi, is a professional footballer from Argentina. He currently plays as a forward for the Major League Soccer club Inter Miami and is a key member of the Argentina national team, holding the captaincy for both squads.
Lionel Messi Profile Summary
Full name: Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccitini
Date of birth: June 24, 1987
Place of birth: Rosario, Argentina
Nationality: Argentine, Italian, Spanish
Current Club: Inter Miami CF
Hair colour: Brown
Eye colour: Dark Brown
Height: 1.7 m
Who is Lionel Messi?
Lionel Messi is an Argentinian professional footballer considered by many to be the greatest player of all time. Born in 1987, Messi joined Barcelona’s youth academy at age 13 and made his competitive debut for the first team at 17. He has spent his entire professional career with Barcelona, where he currently also captains the team.
Messi holds the record for most goals in La Liga history, with 438 goals. He has won a record six Ballon d’Or awards for being the world’s best player and holds the record for most goals in El Clásico matches against Real Madrid with 26. Messi has won a record 35 trophies with Barcelona, including 10 La Liga titles and four UEFA Champions League titles.
Lionel Messi’s Net Worth
According to Forbes, Messi’s net worth is believed to be somewhere around $600 million (£464 million), and the publication estimates that his entire career earnings would amount to $1.28 billion in 2023.
Lionel Messi Untold Story
Lionel Messi’s rise to fame is a true underdog story. Born in Rosario, Argentina, Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency at the age of 11 that required expensive medical treatment. His local club, Newell’s Old Boys, was unable to finance his treatment. At the recommendation of a talent scout, Messi and his family relocated to Barcelona, Spain, where he joined the youth academy of FC Barcelona.
FC Barcelona agreed to fund Messi’s medical treatments on the condition that he play for their youth program. Messi’s treatments proved successful, and his skill and talent blossomed. At the age of 16, he made his debut for Barcelona’s first team in a friendly match, making him the youngest player ever to play for the senior team. The next season, at 17 years old, he established himself as a regular first-team player and never looked back.
Throughout his 17 seasons with Barcelona so far, the diminutive Argentinian phenomenon has won a record six Ballon d’Or awards for being the world’s best player and led Barcelona to 34 club trophies, including ten La Liga titles and four UEFA Champions League titles. Known for his speed, dribbling skills, and uncanny ability to beat defenders, Messi has earned himself the nickname of “the GOAT” – the Greatest of All Time.
Argentina’s National Team
With Argentina’s national team, Messi has competed in four World Cups, helping the team reach the final in 2014. Though Argentina ended up as runners-up, Messi was awarded the Golden Ball as the best player of the tournament. While some critics argue that Messi needs to win a World Cup to cement his status as the GOAT, his legions of fans insist he is peerless in today’s game and possibly the best footballer ever.
Messi’s life story serves as an inspiration that through perseverance, passion, and skill, even those facing immense challenges can rise to the pinnacle of their field and make their dreams a reality. The world watches in eager anticipation of the remaining years of Messi’s storied career to see what other records he may break and what other magic he has yet to conjure on the pitch.
10 Fun Facts About Lionel Messi
- Because there was no paper, his initial contract with FC Barcelona was written on a napkin, and the then-Sporting Director, Carlos Rexach, desired an instant signature owing to Messi’s incredible skill, not wanting to lose a single second.
- Messi was given a spot on the Spanish national team, but he declined and instead waited for Argentina’s call-up.
- Barcelona signed him when he was only 13 years old. This goes on to become the biggest football transaction in history. An opinion that is more fact than opinion.
- Messi’s Argentina debut was a disaster. The youngster came on as a substitute, but his delight was short-lived, as he was dismissed after only 46 seconds on the field. He is now Argentina’s captain.
- Messi was born in Rosario as a little child, weighing less than 3 kilograms and standing roughly 47 cm tall. He is now taller than everyone in football.
- He is known as ‘La Pulga Atomica,’ which translates to ‘The Atomic Flea,’ because of his fast, lethal, and cunning style of play, which combines with his small stature to break defenders’ ankles.
- In the 2009 FIFA World Player of the Year award, Messi received 2,021 points, 1,701 more than his nearest challenger, Cristiano Ronaldo, who received 320. A historic achievement.
- While everyone enjoys seeing Leo, the Barcelona star once stated that he never watches highlights of himself. Wow!
- Messi won the Ballon d’Or in 2009, defeating Cristiano Ronaldo with 473 votes, 240 more than Ronaldo’s 233. The greatest margin in history!
- Messi was named second in SportsPro Magazine’s ranking of the ‘world’s most marketable athletes of 2013’, after teammate Neymar Jr.